Michelin-starred chef Jean-François Piège shares the secrets of his marinated white tuna recipe with readers. Need a last minute dish that will still have a great impact at table? Here Jean-François Piège offers his tips on how to prepare marinated white tuna that needs one essential kitchen gadget, a low-tech mandolin slicer (For one example Google for V-Blade Mandoline Slicer).
Watch the short video clip below for a master class from this well-known French chef;
Video by Pascale Vanacker
Makes one helping
100g frozen tuna
50 ml smoked vinegar (try Tosazu a vinegar typically used in Japanese cooking)
1 Romanesque cauliflower head
1 Graffiti cauliflower head (Purple)
1 orange or “cheddar” cauliflower head
Zest of lemon and juice of one lime
Hazelnuts or fresh almonds or a radish
Fresh herbs and edible flowers
Salt (Fleur de sel) and pepper
1. On a plate slice the tuna into strips using the mandolin slicer, the frozen tuna makes it easier to achieve the right thickness.
2. Sprinkle the strips with a pinch of curry then dribble the Tosazu sauce over the fish.
3. Grate the zest of half a lemon onto each plate. Then add a few drops of lime.
4. Take one cauliflower head and slice it over the plate to get touches of its colour everywhere. Do the same with each of the other different coloured cauliflower heads.
5. Use the mandolin to slice the fresh hazelnuts over the plate.
6. Sprinkle again with a pinch of curry, salt and pepper, then finish the dish by decorating with fresh herbs and edible flowers.
Seasonal Recipes From a French Kitchen
For the two years Vivienne Bolton, a prolific writer and talented cook, generously provided our readers with a tasty new recipe each week. French News Online is most grateful to her for her long and valuable collaboration. Catch up with those recipes in her recently published book, see below:
NOW Buy the recipe book here. Vivienne Bolton’s Gooseberries, Melons or Truffles for Tea? Seasonal Recipes From a French Kitchen [Kindle Edition] is available through Amazon. The book brings all her recipes together in one easy to reference and value-priced collection. Do buy a copy today.
A free sample of what to expect: click on each of the four pictures above for a sneak recipe preview.
Vivienne Bolton Vivienne is a prolific writer, designer and creator of all manner of things. Her latest book From Mother to Daughter, Traditional Housekeeping for the Modern Home is published by Kyle Cathie and available on Amazon. This book is a useful mix of recipes, household hints, memoir and tradition, warm and homely, packed with information taken from a life’s experience of mothering and country living.