Getting To The Root of France’s Muslim Dilemma As Migrants Shake EU’s Bedrock
Saved under Islam in France
Tags: France, Merkel, Migrants, Muslims
Here Joe Parson of Stratfor analyses France’s specific issues with its own extensive Muslim minority.
“Getting to the Root of France’s Muslim Dilemma is republished with permission of Stratfor.”
By Joe Parson
France’s security alert system, Plan Vigipirate, was developed in the late 1970s, updated once in the mid-1990s and twice more in the early 2000s. It reached its highest level of alert (scarlet) after the March 2012 Toulouse and Montauban attacks. In January 2015, however, authorities created a new, higher level to reflect the perceived current danger. As I traveled through Paris and the rest of the country I saw these security measures in action on the city’s metro and on the country’s high-speed train, the Train à Grande Vitesse. Security checks have become much more common, and this has led to some delays. False alarms triggered by such things as suspicious packets of cookies on a Nantes tram or forgotten luggage have stopped trains across the country. Over the New Year holiday, the center of Paris was cordoned off and people were individually screened before being allowed to continue on foot. Even the Christmas market in Strasbourg, far from Paris, was blocked off to automobile traffic, and identification checks were mandatory.
- The Hungarian Leader – Outcast To Some, Hero To Many – Who Aims To “Defend Europe”
- EU Migrant Crisis: German Voter Anger Rising – Perhaps Mutti Merkel Faces a Problem?
- Spectacular Failure To Deal With Migrant Crisis Sparks Anger in Small Saxony Town
- Merkel’s Migrants: “Worst Piece of Public Policy in 50 Years” Germany and France Told
- Merkel’s Coalition Divided On «Transit Zones» for Migrants as Crisis Worsens
- Does Merkel’s Devastating Moment of Migrant Madness Now Presage A Great Deportation
Readers who viewed this page, also viewed:
- Sombre Post-Election Mood: Is the French Political…
- The “Raphael of Flowers”: How Despite…
- Podcast: Islamism, Liberalism, Civil Society and the…
- France 24 What’s in the Papers: Figaro Sounds…
- The Flat Pack Washing Machine The French Designer Claims…
- Migrants: Is Mutti Merkel ‘Our Lady of…
- Merkel’s Migrants: “Worst Piece of Public Policy…
- Powered by Where did they go from here?